A baby’s head is one of the most important parts of its body.
It determines how they will grow and develop, and it will determine their future shape.
The baby’s skull is still soft at birth, but with time it becomes more rigid due to natural growth.
Head Shaping Pillows are baby pillows that shape a baby’s head so as to prevent the common problem of Flat Head Syndrome.
The condition, called Plagiocephaly, is caused by babies sleeping on their back and not being turned from side to side.
This article will discuss if newborn baby pillows are safe or not, what flat head syndrome is, and how we can prevent it with baby head shaping pillows early on in life!
Also, read my reviews of the best baby head shaping pillows!
If you are looking for a quick recommendation then you should go for The White Willow Infant Baby Pillow for Preventing Head for Flat Head Syndrome as it is a soft memory foam pillow that relieves pressure from the neck and head, and aids spinal alignment while your baby sleeps comfortably.
- What is Flat Head Syndrome?
- The Best Baby Head Shaping Pillows: My Reviews!
- 1. The White Willow Infant Baby Pillow for Preventing Flat Head Syndrome
- 2. Kradyl Kroft Soft Applr Bio-Gen Foam Pillow for Infants – Head Shaping Pillow (Color-Multicolor)
- 3. SweeterBaby Baby’s Pillow for Flat Head Syndrome Prevention
- 4. AtoBaby Memory Foam Pillow and Neck Support
- 5. A Baby Cherry Baby Pillow:: Organic Cotton Head Shaping Pillow for Infants and Toddlers (0M to 5 Yr)
- 6. Abracadabra Memory Foam Baby Head Shaping Pillow for Preventing Flat Head Syndrome
- 7. Circleday Baby Boy’s & Baby Girl’s Breathable Memory Foam Head-Shaping Protective Pillow with Head Syndrome Prevention
- 8. MOM & SON Baby Soft Neck Support Pillow for Head Shaping(New Born 0-12 Months Age Group) Red & Blue(Pack of 1)
- 9. Chinmay Kids Baby Pillow U Shape Soft Head Shaper Anti Flat Sleeping Cushion in Cotton Microfiber Filling for Infant Newborn Babies (0 -12 Month)
- 10. Omved Baby’s First Pillow Head Shaping Mustard Seeds Pillow with Lavender Removable Cotton Cover, Light Grey
- Are Newborn Baby Pillows Safe?
- Buying Guide – How to Choose
- Frequently Asked Questions
- ## Conclusion
Top 10 Baby Head Shaping Pillow
|Product Images||Product Title||Shop Now|
|Top||The White Willow Infant Baby Pillow for Preventing Head for Flat Head Syndrome Ideal for 0-12 Age with Removable Organic Bamboo Cover||Buy On Amazon|
|Kradyl Kroft Soft Applr Bio-Gen Foam Pillow for Infants - Head Shaping Pillow (Color-Multicolor,Pristin)||Buy On Amazon|
|SweeterBaby Baby's Pillow for Flat Head Syndrome Prevention||Buy On Amazon|
|AtoBaby Memory Foam Pillow and Neck Support||Buy On Amazon|
|A Baby Cherry Baby Pillow :: Organic Cotton Head Shaping Pillow for Infants and Toddlers (0M to 5 Yr) - Unisex || Washable||Buy On Amazon|
|Abracadabra Memory Foam Baby Head Shaping Pillow for Preventing Flat Head Syndrome, 0+ Years||Buy On Amazon|
|Circleday Baby Boy's & Baby Girl's Breathable Memory Foam Head-Shaping Protective Pillow with Head Syndrome Prevention (Blue)||Buy On Amazon|
|MOM & SON Baby Soft Neck Support Pillow for Head Shaping(New Born 0-12 Months Age Group) Red & Blue(Pack of 1)||Buy On Amazon|
|Chinmay Kids Baby Pillow U Shape Soft Head Shaper Anti Flat Sleeping Cushion in Cotton Microfiber Filling for Infant Newborn Babies - Ivory (0 -12 Month)||Buy On Amazon|
|Omved Baby's First Pillow Head Shaping Mustard Seeds Pillow with Lavender Removable Cotton Cover, Light Grey||Buy On Amazon|
What is Flat Head Syndrome?
A baby’s head should be round on both sides, not flat on one side or too pointy. This condition is called Flat Head Syndrome (FHS).
FHS occurs when a baby spends too much time laying in a position that forces the back of his or her head into contact with a hard surface like a mattress or pillow.
This happens because babies spend about 16 hours each day asleep and often sleep in positions that put pressure on certain areas of their heads.
Parents all over the world are concerned about baby head-shaping pillows.
Babies sleep on their back, and hence baby head shaping pillows have been found to be the best sleep aid for babies and a way to prevent flat head syndrome.
If you’re still not sure how a baby pillow shapes your newborn’s head read this blog post that will answer these questions!
The Best Baby Head Shaping Pillows: My Reviews!
Below are some of the best baby head shaping pillows on the market today.
1. The White Willow Infant Baby Pillow for Preventing Flat Head Syndrome
- This baby head shaping pillow is ideal for assisting the newborn to sleep and feel at ease.
- Made with German Technology, these baby pillows are safe, hypoallergenic, and super soft and easy on the baby’s skin & body.
- The design of this head shaping pillow gives your baby’s neck and head soft, resilient support. There is always a concave circular hole in the pillow, which aids in keeping the baby in position for a long time.
- Made with high-density all-natural memory foam to provide firm support for your infant’s neck and head.
- The ergonomic design prevents the baby from rolling off and ensures comfortable placement and superb posture for the head, neck, and spine.
- These baby pillows are free from harsh chemicals like BPA, Phthalate, Cadmium, Flame, etc.
- The baby’s pillow has a soft and environmentally friendly bamboo fabric cover that is washable, with small holes that allow moisture to flow in and out and keep dirt or any other irritants away while keeping the baby pillow fresh and clean.
- They are designed for infants who are between 0 and 12 months old. Dimensions 9.8″ L X 7.5″ W X 1″ H.
- The pillow is suitable for pushchairs, cots, strollers, and rocking chairs as well and comes with a 1-year Warranty.
✔ Super soft pillow and extremely comfortable to sleep on.
☒ A bit expensive.
2. Kradyl Kroft Soft Applr Bio-Gen Foam Pillow for Infants – Head Shaping Pillow (Color-Multicolor)
- Kradyl Kroft baby head shaping pillow is made of high-quality materials and has a bio-gen foam that makes it sturdy.
- This is a rectangular, no-gap center pillow that cushions the baby’s head for a round shape. The non-hollow indented center evenly distributes surface pressure improves airflow & circulation thus gently helping a round head shape.
- The cover on the pillow is 100% organic cotton and the inside is filled with premium Applr foam to make it soft and fluffy. The Applr Foam keeps dust out of the pillow, ensuring that it remains soft for longer.
- An extra pillowcase is provided to put over the head-shaping pillow.
- This head shaping pillow is Hypo-Allergenic, Bacteria Resistant and Soft yet Supple on a NewBorns Sensitive Skin.
- This baby pillow is constructed of two separate layers to increase absorption and provide a dry, comfortable feel.
✔ The tiny baby pillow gives your child the comfort and support he or she needs for a peaceful and restful sleep.
✔ Many customers found it helpful in getting rid of the baby’s flat spots.
☒ Few customers were not satisfied with the thickness of the pillow.
3. SweeterBaby Baby’s Pillow for Flat Head Syndrome Prevention
- This baby head shaping pillow is ergonomically designed to support and provide comfort for your baby’s neck.
- It is a heart-shaped pillow that is made to prevent and correct mild cases of flat head syndrome.
- Bamboo memory foam is a very soft and smooth material that provides excellent comfort while also providing adequate support to keep your infant’s head in perfect alignment.
✔ The comfort of sleeping on it is good. It keeps the baby’s head straight.
✔ It can be used in various places such as beds, strollers, etc.
☒ A little expensive compared to others in this category.
4. AtoBaby Memory Foam Pillow and Neck Support
- A baby head shaping pillow that provides support and comfort for your baby’s neck, back, and spine.
- You can use this baby pillow for both infants and toddlers. Suitable for babies aged 0 to 12 months.
- Made with memory foam material which is firm yet soft to provide superior support while sleeping or lounging around the house without causing any discomfort at all!
- The design of this baby head shaping pillow allows airflow around your baby’s neck and back, providing a fresh sleeping environment.
✔ Great for newborn babies and also works well for toddlers too. Very versatile design that can be used from baby to toddler.
✔ Value for money.
5. A Baby Cherry Baby Pillow:: Organic Cotton Head Shaping Pillow for Infants and Toddlers (0M to 5 Yr)
- This Baby Cherry Baby Pillow is made of breathable organic cotton, which is smooth and gentle to the baby’s skin.
- The back of the pillow is well ventilated with 3D Air Mesh fabric that draws heat and moisture away to prevent sweating and keep your baby’s head cool.
- One of the striking features of this pillow is that it can be adjusted to the height you want.
- This baby head shaping pillow is Hypoallergenic & Free of Toxins & Fluorescent Agents.
- It comes in 3 different designs stars, feathers, alphabets to choose from which will attract & please your baby.
- Ergonomically designed, this pillow is sized at 21″ X 32″.
- Suitable for infants and toddlers from 0 – 5 years.
- Travel-friendly and can be used in cribs, strollers, car seats.
- It comes with a pillow cover so you do not have to wash the entire pillow. You can hand wash or machine wash it & then air dry it to keep it fluffy.
✔ This pillow is designed and recommended by experts
✔ You will like the softness of this pillow.
✔ Comfortable size & adjustable height.
✔ Attractive designs.
☒ Few customers complained about the quality of the cotton used in the pillow.
6. Abracadabra Memory Foam Baby Head Shaping Pillow for Preventing Flat Head Syndrome
- You may buy this memory foam cushion if you’re looking for a simple-to-use multipurpose pillow.
- I love the bambi design as it is very attractive and cute.
- The temperature-sensitive memory form code ensures that it will help in relieving the extreme pressure point while also providing excellent comfort and personalized support.
- If you want the ergonomically designed piece for the baby, then you will require this because a concave opening will ensure getting placed in the right way in the cradle.
- It can lead to the improvement of the sleep of the baby while also reducing the spinal cord pain.
- It is long-lasting and comes with a good warranty as well to make it stand out.
- It is good for plenty of areas like the rocking chairs, pushchairs, as well as a stroller.
- If you want the best investment for lifetime support, then this is the pillow that you should choose.
✔ It is long-lasting and comes with a good warranty as well to make it stand out.
✔ It is good for plenty of areas like the rocking chairs, pushchairs, as well as a stroller.
7. Circleday Baby Boy’s & Baby Girl’s Breathable Memory Foam Head-Shaping Protective Pillow with Head Syndrome Prevention
- This is a lovely pillow with bear-shaped ears on it, ensuring that the kid won’t get a flathead.
- The Circleday Baby Memory Foam Head-Shaping Pillo is designed for newborns who are between 0 and 12 months old.
- The bamboo memory foam serves as a wonderful foundation for a soft and supple pillow. You can get the necessary support at all times.
- Memory foam ensures that the baby’s head does not receive too much pressure and provides a relaxed sleep at night.
- The pillow is also useful for babies with sensitive skin.
- Its ergonomic design keeps the baby’s neck and spine in correct alignment.
✔ It can be washed easily.
✔ It provides reduced friction at the back of the head.
✔ The softness of the pillow is too good.
☒ No cover is provided for the pillow and hence it gets dirtier easily.
8. MOM & SON Baby Soft Neck Support Pillow for Head Shaping(New Born 0-12 Months Age Group) Red & Blue(Pack of 1)
- This is a newborn head-shaping baby pillow with a cute bear design with ears attached to it.
- This horseshoe-shaped pillow is made exclusively to give support to the baby’s head and neck.
- Ergonomically designed to make sure that your baby’s neck is not strained.
- It can be easily hand-washed.
- The Padded Baby Neck Protector Pillow is made with the user in mind, and it may be used anywhere from a car seat to a baby’s cot.
✔ Very economical product.
☒ Does not match the softness compared to other products in this category.
9. Chinmay Kids Baby Pillow U Shape Soft Head Shaper Anti Flat Sleeping Cushion in Cotton Microfiber Filling for Infant Newborn Babies (0 -12 Month)
- This U-Shaped Head Shaping pillow is made of 100% cotton so as to not cause any irritation or discomfort.
- The inside of the pillow is filled with cotton microfiber making it plush and soft for the baby’s use.
- The cushion allows for airflow and molds to the shape of the infant’s head, resulting in a better-shaped head.
- Lightweight, portable and easy to carry in your diaper bag for travel. Can be easily used in car seats, flights, prams, cribs.
- The outer cover can be easily removed and washed for better hygiene.
- Suitable for newborn babies from 0 – 12 months of age.
- This pillow comes in various designs and colours for you to choose from!
✔ Very economical product.
✔ Customers have found this product soft and gentle for the baby’s use.
☒ Some people did not find the outer material soft and caused sweating for the baby.
10. Omved Baby’s First Pillow Head Shaping Mustard Seeds Pillow with Lavender Removable Cotton Cover, Light Grey
- If you are looking for a mustard seeds pillow for your baby’s head, look no further!
- Omved Baby’s head shaping pillow is 100% natural and made with tiny-sized, thrice cleaned mustard seeds selectively chosen for optimised support for your baby’s head.
- It also contains quality aromatic Lavender flowers & essential oils that help the baby to fall asleep and also prevents cold.
- It comes with an ultra-soft cotton cover that is highly breathable, hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial. This pillow cover is removable and washable. Read the instructions carefully before washing/drying the pillow as it is very important that the mustard seeds do not become wet.
- Also, make sure that the pillow does not tear otherwise the seeds will fall out which can be a risk to the baby.
- This baby head-shaping pillow is ergonomically created with a non-hollow groove in the middle to ensure complete infant comfort while sleeping.
✔ It is biodegradable and non-toxic.
✔ Customers appreciate the enormous size of the cushion, which adds additional comfort to the baby.
☒ Few customers found the pillow expensive.
Are Newborn Baby Pillows Safe?
These baby pillows are scientifically designed to make your child more comfortable and improve breathing.
The majority of these are anti-suffocation, which is shown by the TUV certification.
Due to the right distribution of pressure and the freedom to rotate the head 180 degrees, these pillows are highly recommended by doctors for child care.
Buying Guide – How to Choose
How to choose the best baby head shaping pillows?
Newborn baby pillows are very safe if made with a soft, flexible material that is firm but not too hard.
They shouldn’t contain foam or latex as they can compact and become uncomfortable for your baby to use over time.
When looking at baby head shaping pillows you should also ensure the baby pillow has ventilation holes so as to prevent baby suffocation.
The baby head shaping pillow should be washable so as to promote hygiene and cleanliness for your baby’s delicate skin, especially if he or she spits up frequently during the night!
Baby pillows should be large enough to support the baby’s head, but small enough so your baby can’t roll over and get their face stuck in between the pillow and mattress.
Make sure you purchase a baby head shaping pillow that has been tested by an independent lab such as TUV or Intertek for safety standards compliance.
Baby skin is delicate, so look for a baby head shaping pillow that is made with soft and gentle materials such as cotton or bamboo.
Travel Friendliness –
If you’re looking for a baby head shaping pillow that you can take with you on the go, make sure it’s lightweight and easy to fold up.
Ease of Washing –
When buying a baby’s pillow, keep in mind that you should search for one that can be properly cleaned and dried.
Just because it’s more expensive doesn’t mean it is of better quality! It just means you will be paying for their brand name rather than getting a good night’s sleep with your baby thanks to this product!
I hope this baby head shaping pillow guide will help you make the best decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do baby head shaping pillows work?
There is no scientific evidence that baby head shaping pillows work, but many parents find them helpful in preventing Flat Head Syndrome.
- How do I know if my baby has Flat Head Syndrome?
If your baby’s head appears to be flattened at the back or on one side and it’s been this way since birth, he or she may have Flat Head Syndrome.
- Are baby head shaping pillows safe?
Yes, as long as you purchase a baby head shaping pillow that has been certified by an independent lab for safety standards compliance.
- Can baby head shaping pillows help my baby sleep?
There is no evidence to support the claim that baby head shaping pillows can help babies sleep, but many parents find them helpful in preventing Flat Head Syndrome.
- How do I wash my baby head shaping pillow?
Always consult the baby head shaping pillow’s care instructions before washing it. Most pillows can be washed by hand or in a machine, but if you’re unsure always check first!
- How to use a U-shaped pillow for a baby?
The use of a U-shaped baby pillow is simple; all you have to do is place the baby’s head in the empty space of the U-shaped cushion. This will give the head a rounded shape and help to support the baby’s neck.
- Can I use a regular pillow for my baby?
You should never put a regular pillow in your baby’s crib as it can cause suffocation. A baby head shaping pillow is specifically designed for safe use in a baby’s bed.
As our baby’s head is very delicate, we should take care of it and do everything to protect it from deformities like flat head syndrome (FHS).
However, it is still not clear whether or not newborn baby pillows are safe.
As the article discusses, there are some benefits to using them and they can be useful in preventing flat head syndrome early on in life.
However, it’s important for parents to understand that these types of products may also have risks associated with them like choking hazards if the pillow cover isn’t removed regularly.
It will depend largely on your judgement as a parent when deciding what product might work best for you!
However, if you decide to go for a pillow, we must pick a soft baby head shaping pillow for our baby’s spine, neck, and muscle development.
Look for a baby pillow that has been certified by an independent lab, is easy to wash, and won’t break the bank!
Finally, before using the pillow on your baby, always ask your pediatrician.