Diapers are a boon to young mothers, cloth or disposable as you can use them while traveling, sleeping at night, and throughout the day.
But the continual use of diapers can cause utter discomfort to our munchkins. Diaper rashes are a common thing these days because you cannot avoid the use of diapers.
These rashes and infections can be incredibly painful for babies, and make diaper changes far more unpleasant than they need to be.
It makes the baby cranky, uncomfortable, irritated. As young mothers, many of us do not know how to cure this or prevent it from happening.
When my baby faced this issue, I used to change the diapers quite frequently, used home remedies, bought a one-size-up diaper too, and of course gave him some diaper-free time too.
But finally, when my pediatrician recommended a rash cream, I used B4 Nappi Cream to treat them and he was relieved within 1-2 days.
So here is my take on best diaper rash creams, home remedies, and what you need to know before buying these rash treatment creams and how to prevent them from happening in the first place.
Top Choices of 13 Best Diaper Rash Cream in India
|Sebamed Baby Rash Cream||Buy on Amazon|
|Top||B4 Nappi Cream||Buy On Amazon|
|The Moms Co. Baby’s Diaper Rash Cream||Buy On Amazon|
|Himalaya Diaper Rash Cream||Buy On Amazon|
|Lotus Herbals Baby+ Happy Bums Diaper Rash Crème||Buy On Amazon|
|Desitin Baby Diaper Rash Maximum Strength Original Paste||Buy On Amazon|
|Life & Pursuits Organic Diaper Rash Cream||Buy On Amazon|
|CHICCO Diaper Rash Cream||Buy On Amazon|
|Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream||Buy On Amazon|
|Mother Sparsh Plant Powered Diaper Rash Cream||Buy On Amazon|
|Burt's Bees Baby Bee 100% Natural Diaper Rash Ointment||Buy On Amazon|
|Boudreaux's Butt Paste Maximum Strength Diaper Cream||Buy On Amazon|
|Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment||Buy On Amazon|
- Causes of Diaper Rash
- Why do you need a baby rash cream?
- Types of Products for Rash Treatments
- How to choose a Diaper Rash Cream?
- All About Diaper Rash in Babies
- Home Remedies
- Review of 13 Best Diaper Rash Cream in India
- 1. Sebamed Baby Rash Cream
- 2. B4 Nappi Cream
- 3. The Moms Co. Baby’s Diaper Rash Cream
- 4. Himalaya Diaper Rash Cream
- 5. Lotus Herbals Baby+ Happy Bums Diaper Rash Crème
- 6. Desitin Diaper Rash Cream
- 7. Life & Pursuits Organic Diaper Rash Cream
- 8. Chicco Diaper Rash Cream
- 9. Cetaphil Baby Diaper Rash Cream
- 10. Mother Sparsh Plant Powered Diaper Rash Cream
- 11. Burt’s Bees Baby Bee 100% Natural Diaper Rash Ointment
- 12. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste Maximum Strength Diaper Cream
- 13. Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment
- Final Word
Causes of Diaper Rash
Enormous reasons are responsible for the baby’s nappy rash that can even lead to serious problems. Here are the most common reasons –
- Prolonged use of the same diaper and not changing it even if it’s heavy. Tight-fitting of the diapers.
- Frequent motion or irritation due to moisture, wetness, acidity due to stool or urine.
- Changes in the eating habits of the mother can cause changes in the stool of the baby, which is another reason observed for the baby’s diaper rashes.
- Use of unclean hands while changing the diaper of the baby.
- Not letting the baby be free from diapers.
- Skin infection due to bacteria or yeast – this may be due to antibiotics that your baby is taking due to some illness that causes the yeast to be developed and it may be resolved only with a prescription-based cream.
- An allergic reaction to soaps, baby wipes, foods, or detergent. In the case of cloth diapers, detergent may cause rashes.
Why do you need a baby rash cream?
Diaper rashes are one of the reasons that can make the baby uncomfortable and trigger panic in the mothers. The best treatment is to keep the baby’s bottom clean and dry at all times. But having a baby rash cream at your side helps a ton!
The essential reasons to use a rash cream are –
- To aid the baby with a comfortable and relaxing ordeal.
- Rashes can cause irritation and burning sensation to the child, which can trouble the child to a great extent.
- Rashes can cause dry skin which can be achy for the child. Rash treatments can help get rid of such issues.
Diaper rash cream can help to both heal your child’s bottom from an existing rash, and prevent one from starting. Diaper rash cream can help provide much-needed relief to your baby’s sensitive skin.
Types of Products for Rash Treatments
Babies’ skin is very sensitive and each baby has its skin type. Therefore, there are other products available in the market that allow you to choose the perfect product for your baby, which aids their comfort.
- Diaper rash powder: Prolonged moisture is the main reason for diaper rash on a baby’s sensitive skin. Diaper rash powder helps in absorbing excessive skin moisture and aids in better rash treatment results.
However, they do not provide a long-term relief plus the fine powder becomes airborne and is easily inhaled by your little one, which is not good for them.
- Diaper rash antiseptic: Antiseptic is a bit painful but extremely robust in delivering precise treatment from diaper rashes. You can use an antiseptic if your baby has reached an extreme level of diaper rash. Please take the doctor’s advice before using it.
- Diaper rash ointment: Ointment is an oil-based cream that creates a barrier on a baby’s skin and stops moisture retention on the skin. The soothing formulation helps in giving relief from rash and is an example of perfect rash treatment.
- Diaper rash paste: Paste forms a thick covering over the baby’s skin. It contains essential moisturizers that help to keep up with healthy baby skin. Remember, the paste is a thick product and hence it needs to be dried before you put on the diaper as it may cause staining.
- Diaper rash oil: Made of healthy and nourishing essential oils helps in faster rash treatment. The protective covering formed due to oil helps in keeping excessive moisture away from the skin.
How to choose a Diaper Rash Cream?
So how does one choose to buy the diaper rash product as you want your baby to quickly get relief? Well here is my take on it –
- Cream, Paste, or Ointment – Now that I have given you the different types of rash treatment, you will wonder which to buy. Well, creams work best on existing rashes as they soothe the skin, pastes for severe rashes to heal them, and ointments to prevent rashes.
- Type of Rash – If it’s an irritated bottom or simple rash, you can use a diaper rash cream or ointment. But if you are treating the rash for yeast infection, then you will need an antifungal cream as other creams will not work.
- Type of Diaper Used – If you use cloth diapers, some ingredients in creams or ointments can cause staining and make them less absorbent. Choose diaper creams without petrolatum or zinc oxide. You may also want to use a disposable liner. For disposable diapers, these creams work without any staining or clogging.
- Ingredients: Check the ingredients and composition of the diaper rash cream carefully. This will be the deciding factor to go for. Make sure the cream contains a precise amount of zinc oxide which is responsible for the rash treatment.
- Sensitivity: Baby’s skin is very sensitive and delicate. Choose a diaper rash cream that is suited to your child’s skin type.
- Natural: Go for the rash treatment that offers the least or nil use of chemical substitutes or heavy paraben which can be hazardous to a baby’s skin.
Choose from the 11 Best Diapers in India and make a smart choice to avoid fewer or no rashes & a happy baby!
How to Treat A Diaper Rash ?
Here are a few steps that you can take to prevent a diaper rash or take action as soon as you see it –
- Try changing your baby’s diapers multiple times to avoid long contact with moisture.
- Clean your baby’s bottom with a soft cloth before every diaper change. Use alcohol-free wet wipes or simply use some warm water to cleanse the area.
- Provide some air time or diaper-free time before you change into a new diaper. This is the best remedy at times and makes the baby comfortable.
- Apply a layer of diaper rash cream or ointment and let it dry before you slip on the new clean diaper.
- Ensure that the diaper is not too tight else it will chafe against the skin of the baby. If required, buy a one-size bigger diaper for a few days and check if it allows enough airflow and cures the rash.
All About Diaper Rash in Babies
Check out this video to find out about symptoms, causes and remedies.
** Video courtesy firstcry.com.
When my baby faced a diaper rash, it was mainly due to continuous stool problems.
Initially, I used the diaper rash cream suggested by my pediatrician, and I also gave him a good amount of diaper-free time.
But after a while, you really need to get them in a diaper as it really gets messy. With you already going through a lot, you need to really give the baby quick relief else they get cranky.
I switched to cloth diapers but that too did not cure the diaper rash problem for long. Now, it really needed to be treated.
My mother-in-law suggested a home remedy and I thought that this can be tried as it never really causes any harm.
Coconut Oil – One of the best remedies for any kind of rashes, irritations for babies or adults alike. It has anti-inflammatory properties, making it beneficial for irritated, chafed skin, and is anti-fungal. Additionally, she asked me to add a little powdered camphor in it, (camphor being antibacterial will help in preventing any infections) and apply it to the baby’s bottom before changing the diaper. And yes, it worked wonders for me!
Though I continued to use the home remedy mentioned above, I did ensure that I use the diaper rash cream from time to time too. So it was a mix of both for me.
Whatever you choose – home remedies or a diaper rash cream, you need to pick wisely so as to provide maximum relief to your baby.
Here is my list of the best diaper rash creams available in India. Choose as per your baby’s needs and skin sensitivity.
Review of 13 Best Diaper Rash Cream in India
1. Sebamed Baby Rash Cream
Sebamed brand is a well-known baby products brand.
This diaper rash cream contains titanium oxide instead of zinc oxide which helps in better healing of the wounds.
The rash treatment cream contains chamomile which provides a soothing touch to the skin and gives relief from irritation.
The high panthenol content works on skin regeneration and the supports healing process in case of damaged skin.
✔ Leading seller among the category of diaper rash creams.
✔ Clinically has proven to cure rashes up to 50% within 3 weeks.
✔ Maintains the pH level of 5.5 to aid baby’s soft skin.
☒ A few customers rated it as an expensive product.
2. B4 Nappi Cream
This nappy cream is available in non-vanishing cream formulations that generate a thick layer to protect skin from rashes.
It is easy to apply and can be removed easily with wipes.
Contains calendula oil that helps prevent bacterial inflammation and provides a soothing effect to the skin.
✔ Recommended by most pediatricians and parents.
✔ Contains 15% of zinc oxide that helps in protecting the skin.
✔ Prevents irritation and rehydrates the skin keeping it moisturized.
✔ One of the most effective creams available can be used every day.
☒ Few consumers complained that the baby’s rashes worsened on usage. This depends on the skin type. But overall this nappy rash cream works on all babies.
3. The Moms Co. Baby’s Diaper Rash Cream
Certified with the contents of organic oils that help in better healing and relief from diaper rashes. Hydrolyzed wheat protein helps moisturize the skin.
Mild diaper rash cream that helps in keeping up with the soft skin of the baby. Healthy collagen production keeps the skin nourished for a longer time.
✔ Comes in an affordable price range.
✔ Comes with a mild enchanting smell of organic oils that help in healing.
✔ 15% zinc oxide content creates a protective barrier on the skin to prevent rashes.
✔ Suitable for three years old and below.
☒ The thickness of the cream doesn’t match the expectation.
4. Himalaya Diaper Rash Cream
Paraben-free nourished with healthy miners and organic oils that help in healthy rash treatment. It comes with an anti-inflammatory formulation that helps in preventing any unexpected infection to the baby’s body.
The healthy moisturizing effects help in retaining the nourishing texture of the skin.
✔ Available in an easy-to-use pack and can be easily spread over the applied part.
✔ The thickness of the cream creates a protective covering over the skin.
✔ Provides the baby with the desired comfort.
✔ Most economical choice.
☒ Not suitable for all baby skin types, especially oily skin.
☒ It may not work on severe rashes.
5. Lotus Herbals Baby+ Happy Bums Diaper Rash Crème
The cream has a unique natural formulation that helps in the healthy recovery of the baby’s skin. It has high contents of zinc oxide that helps in prevention from redness and rashes.
Free from any harmful chemicals that can result in itching or dryness to the skin of the baby.
99% natural ingredients with ph 5.5 level that ensures this nappy cream can be used even on sensitive skin.
✔ Helps in healing the rashes and redness.
✔ Pleasant fragrance loved by the babies.
✔ It can be applied to the baby’s skin right after birth.
☒ The cream works as a soothing moisturizer but does not act as an anti-rash cream.
☒ It doesn’t spread evenly over the skin. It’s very sticky and hence difficult to wipe off.
This cream is available in 2 types – Desitin Diaper Rash Cream 113g tube (blue) and Desitin Maximum Strength Original Paste Diaper Rash Cream- 113G (purple).
Although, both use zinc oxide to recover from rash treatments – the blue rash cream has 13% zinc oxide while the purple one is for maximum strength and has 40% of zinc oxide content.
It comes in a hypoallergenic formulation that helps in speedy rash treatments. Formulated keeping the sensitive and delicate skin of the babies into consideration.
It is free from chemical dyes and added fragrances which can otherwise cause allergic effects.
✔ Contains zinc oxide as a base that helps in attaining relief from rashes and irritation.
✔ Easy to apply and wipe off when needed.
☒ It doesn’t stay put, rather starts spreading all across the applicable part.
☒ It is too sticky, and difficult to clean.
☒ Very expensive.
7. Life & Pursuits Organic Diaper Rash Cream
Formulated in a zinc oxide base and contains neem extracts as well. Neem is good to protect skin from irritation caused due to fungi and bacterial infections and thus, the diaper rash cream helps prevent the same.
The extracts of manjistha help in the healthy healing of the skin.
✔ Fights fungal and bacterial infections that can cause irritation and itching.
✔ Helps in improving skin texture and health.
✔ Moisturizes and protects sensitive skin.
☒ Does not have a pleasing smell.
☒ Few customers found it expensive compared to others in the category like B4 Nappi rash cream.
8. Chicco Diaper Rash Cream
Formulated with glycerine and shea butter along with active contents of zinc oxide that helps in healthy rash treatment. It creates a protective yet breathable layer over the skin that helps in a healthy supply of oxygen into the skin.
Contains other vitamins that play a significant role in healing and soothing.
✔ 100% vegetarian-based formulation.
✔ Dermatologically tested for allergens and free from parabens.
✔ Nourishes the skin with the essential oil contents in it.
✔ Cost-effective for a 100 gm pack.
☒ Might work only as a prevention cream rather than curing severe rashes.
9. Cetaphil Baby Diaper Rash Cream
A healthy formulated diaper rash cream with the base of zinc oxide. It doesn’t compose of any additives that may result in allergic reactions to the baby’s skin.
It is dermatologically tested and is suitable for sensitive skin.
✔ Contains calendula extracts that are used to furnish relief from skin irritation.
✔ It soothes the skin from the burning sensation caused due to rashes.
✔ Contains vitamin B5 and Vitamin E that aid in healthy rash treatments.
✔ It is paraben-free.
☒ Cannot cure very severe rashes.
10. Mother Sparsh Plant Powered Diaper Rash Cream
A cream enriched with essential oils and herbs giving a natural touch. With a completely healthy formulation, it is perfect for the sensitive skin of the baby. Helps in soothing the discomfort caused to the baby due to prolonged use of the diaper.
✔ Forms a protective layer over the skin of the baby.
✔ Essential oils help in the moisture retention of the skin.
☒ Contains phenoxyethanol, a hazardous product that can affect the health of the infant.
☒ The presence of too much oxide making it a chemical product, as stated by the customers.
11. Burt’s Bees Baby Bee 100% Natural Diaper Rash Ointment
The formulation of this diaper rash cream is of 40% zinc oxide which acts as a huge advantage to cure diaper rashes. Incorporated with almond oil makes it healthy for the skin and keeps it healthy and nourished.
Free from phthalates and sulfates making it a healthy choice for the baby’s skin.
✔ Helps in the treatment of mild to normal rashes.
✔ Free from preservatives.
✔ Doesn’t have a pungent or unhealthy smell.
✔ Made with completely natural formulated ingredients.
☒ It is not useful over stubborn or heavy rashes.
☒ Very Expensive compared to other rash creams.
12. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste Maximum Strength Diaper Cream
Comes in an ointment-based formulation and contains 40% of zinc oxide which is the major factor that helps in rash treatments.
The formulation is free from preservatives aiding skin comfort. Being an ointment it doesn’t contain any talcum powder in its formulation.
✔ A thick ointment base creates a protective covering over the skin.
✔ Safe to use for the sensitive and delicate skin of the babies.
✔ Good fragrance.
✔ Recommended by pediatricians.
☒ It is not easy to wipe off. Also if washed with water while removing, it gets on the hands.
13. Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment
Contains more than 41% of petrolatum that helps in keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized. It can be applied on other minor scratches, cuts, excessive drooling, chapped lips and works miraculously on them as well.
It doesn’t contain any harmful preservatives and any kind of fragrance that can harm the skin of the baby.
✔ Can cure even harsh rashes than many other creams.
✔ It doesn’t dry up easily and aids in hours-long protection and relief from rashes.
✔ It stays put on the rashes and aids in healthy rash treatment.
✔ Multiple uses – can be used on minor cuts, scratches too.
☒ It feels greasy and can be found to be uncomfortable for some babies.
☒ Most expensive rash treatment cream in this category.
☒ Contains petrolatum.
Diaper rashes can be extremely painful and if not treated in time, they can be sore or lead to infection and blisters.
Diaper rash creams are an essential aid to provide relief to our babies from itchiness and redness.
I recommend B4 Nappi Cream as the best diaper rash cream whether you are using it to prevent rashes or to cure them.
It has zinc oxide that provides a protective layer to the baby’s tush and has skin-friendly ingredients like calendula oil that not only soothe the baby’s skin but also maintains its moisturization and can be used on whatever type of diaper you choose.
It may take some time to find the right diaper rash cream for your baby, but when you find it you will stick to it throughout the diaper period.
Get a baby rash cream today to keep your baby smiling always!